25 May 2013

This morning I was surprised...



to find the moon still up when I went to open for staff and animals,

but I was not prepared for the rest of the surprises 

the morning was about to serve up....
Some weeks back new acquaintances gave me two pigs, Pickles and Pork.   They are my first ever pigs so I'm delighted they are a small breed.   She is a bit of a pot belly and although he does not have her typically upturned nose and dragging belly, he is also from a small black breed.   




The snug, movable "teepee" we made for them. 


As it turned out Pork was already pregnant.   So now you've guessed it..




Eight beautiful piglets!

That's when I decided my reticence for starting the blog, which I have been threatening to do for almost a year now, will be something of the past.   So here it is...   I'm blogging!   Finally!   Because of 8 little black pigs.

We had been meaning to put up a fence and gate so that dad could be separated once the piglets were born, and then had to scurry to get the job done.   Mom didn't like the activity one bit so she pushed grass over them in a heap, sniffed all around carefully, and lay down next to them...

Piglets?   What piglets?   None here....

But I came back with my secret weapon - shortbread biscuits!   Got mom outside in no time.


HOW SMALL IS SMALL!?


Just see the little face!
Ok both...


Happiness is... On Adri's first farm blog...

5 comments:

  1. If you visit, please post a comment so that I know you are there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to your blog Adri. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sable and thanks so much for your assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog Auntie A! It makes me *almost* feel like I'm back in SA with you. I love reading about all the goings on at the farm. Can't wait to read more...and more...and more. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to just come and step into the mud yourself though, or get shoved around by Pickles or Pork if you don't tip the bucket quickly enough...

      FJ is building a fireplace so there's compensation. A nice hot bath, his great home cooking, Chocolat's decadent desserts .. what can I say. You will need to run another marathon.

      Delete