2 July 2013

A pumpkin story to keep me humble ..

.. happened when two years back I decided to plant pumpkins right alongside the house to keep an eye out for the monkeys which made it impossible where I had them before.   I was so in love with my pumpkin patch I couldn't stop taking pictures of it.







The leaves became like the seat of a chair so big, and eventually one couldn't see these stakes, the plants were so huge... but I didn't take a picture then because I was devastated...   Not a single pumpkin was developing on it...


Last year on the other hand, I decided to make camps in the chicken enclosure because they had decimated the entire camp although it was way bigger than the prescription for free range chickens.   The camps they didn't have access to quickly recovered and seeds left there from our kitchen scraps developed in the loose soil where they had also left their droppings which fed the soil.   This is half the crop of pumpkins we harvested there, where we hadn't cleared, hadn't planted, hadn't driven stakes into, hadn't done anything whatsoever to deserve the harvest ...

I think there's a lesson hiding in this tale somewhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment